Meet Dr. Skinner
“It’s not a job if you really enjoy what you’re doing!”
Dr. Skinner was born and raised in Fort Smith, and has always felt a special passion for this area. Although he had to leave to finish his education, he knew he would return here to establish his dental practice and raise his family. And that is exactly what he did. The patients he began treating are now bringing their children and even their grandchildren in to see him!
One of the joys of family dentistry is the ability to form great bonds of friendship with our patients. Dr. Skinner feels blessed and honored to be a part of each of their lives and finds as much joy in being a dentist today as he did when he first started. As he puts it, “it’s not a job if you really enjoy what you’re doing!”.
Having completed a Bachelor’s and a Master’s degree from the University of Arkansas, he attended the LSU School of Dentistry and received his Doctor of Dental Surgery in 1986. During his dental education, Dr. Skinner was involved in extensive research in the subjects of Oral Pathology, Cancer, and Endodontics.
His work garnered four NIH Grants, top awards at Table Clinics presented Nationally and Internationally, and produced three Abstracts and seven Journal Articles. In 2012, the LSU School of Dentistry honored him with their Alumnus of the Year Award.
That same drive to learn still exists today and is the reason he attends so many continuing education courses each year. He has rarely missed a national, state or local dental meeting/seminar and serves as a State Delegate in the American Dental Association’s House of Delegates.
Elected by his peers, he was honored to serve as the General Chairman of the ADA Annual Session 2009 – Honolulu, Hawaii. In the same year, the Arkansas State Dental Association presented him with the Distinguished Service Award, one of the highest honors given.
Dr. Skinner believes strongly in giving back to his profession and his community and has been very active in both. He learned the value of hard work while working in his parent’s local business, Skinner Photography Studio and Bridal Fashions, as a teenager. He was also active in the Boy Scouts program and learned commitment and leadership while earning his Eagle Scout rank. He has been in many leadership roles in both dentistry and community. In response to area needs, he has been a founder of charitable, educational and award winning organizations in the community. In 1992, the Community Dental Clinic, co-founded with Community Solutions in Progress, was awarded the 699th Point of Light by President George H. W. Bush as part of his 1,000 Points of Light Campaign.
When it comes to family, there is no prouder father than Dr. Skinner! He loves, admires and respects his three beautiful, grown daughters and can often be overheard bragging about them to his patients and staff. He and his wife, Donna, enjoy working together in the practice and are constant companions. They enjoy traveling and prefer beach vacations whenever possible. If not working or traveling, you can find Dr. Skinner working in his yard or on his latest home improvement project. He truly loves spending his time off working on one building or remodeling project after the other. You won’t usually find him alone though, because somewhere nearby will be his yellow Labrador Retriever, Honey. “She’s a fine pup” he says, of his rescued companion “and the perfect dog for us”.
Sports & Hobbies
Tennis has been a life-long hobby and interest of Dr. Skinner and, in past years, of his daughters, too. In 2002, his family was named both Arkansas (ATA) and Southern (STA) Tennis Family of the Year. In more recent years, he has moved on to golf. He and several of his old Sig-Ep Fraternity brothers enjoy getting together several times a year for a friendly, competitive game of golf and rehashing of old tales. In July of 2015, they made a memorable trip to Scotland together. They played golf on several historical golf courses, including The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, where Golf is believed to have been invented, and attended the Final Round of the British Open.
Well, there you have it!
Hopefully, we’ve given you enough information for you to feel you know Dr. Skinner a little bit better than before. In the table below you will find more details regarding his leadership, passion and dedication to those he serves.
Awards & Honorary Fellowships
- Outstanding Alumnus Award 2009 – Arkansas LSU Alumnus
- Alan J. Davis/SCADA Achievement Award 2009 – Inter. Assoc. of Student Clinicians ADA
- Distinguished Service Award 2009 – Arkansas State Dental Association
- New Dentist Award 1996 – Arkansas State Dental Association
- Community Preventative Dentistry Award – Proctor & Gamble (1993)
- American College of Dentists – Fellow (2001-Present)
- International College of Dentists – Fellow (1998-Present)
- Pierre Fauchard Honorary Dental Academy (1994-Present)
- Continuing Education Committee – Arkansas State Dental Association (2011-Present)
- District 12 Delegate – American Dental Association (2000, 2005-Present)
- Governance Advisory Committee 2012 – American Dental Association
- Membership & Planning Reference Committee 2011 – American Dental Association
- General Chairman American Dental Association Annual Session, Honolulu, HI – 2009
- Council on ADA Sessions – American Dental Association (2006-2009)
- President – Arkansas State Dental Association (2000)
- Executive Council – Arkansas State Dental Association (1996-1999)
- President – Northwest Dental District Society (1995)
- Peer Review Board – Arkansas State Dental Association (1994-1997)
- New Dentist Committee – Arkansas State Dental Association (1993-1997)
- President – Fort Smith Dental Association (1991)
The following awards were received for the founding of The Community Dental Clinic in Fort Smith:
- Community Service Award – Office of the Governor/KARK TV (1997)
- 699th Point of Light – President George H. W. Bush 1,000 Points of Light (1992)
University of Arkansas Fort Smith
- Vice-Chairman Athletic Advisory Board (2012)
- Athletic Advisory Board Member (2010-2014)
- Reestablished Tennis Program – Campaign & Funding (2008)
- Founder – Dental Hygiene School (1999)
- Part-Time Instructor – Dental Hygiene School (1999-2009)
Community Dental Clinic
- Founder (Co-founded with Community Solutions In Progress) (1989)
- Consultant (1989-2009)
The Celebrity Classic
- Executive Board/Steering Committee (2002-2011)
- Event Chairman (2003)
- Tennis Chairman (2000)
Trinity Junior High School
- Chairman (2000-2005)
- Endowment Trust Foundation (1998-2005)
United Way of Fort Smith Area (1988-2009)
- President (1996)
- Board of Directors (1991-1995)
Leadership Fort Smith (1991-Present)
- Alumni Board (1992-1993)
- Class of 1991
Fort Smith Noon Exchange Club (1990-2007)
- President (2000)
- Board of Directors (1990-1999)
- Advisory Board (1993-1999, 2003-2010)
- Staff Appointment (1986-Present)
Sparks Regional Medical Center
- Staff Appointment (1986-Present)
First United Methodist Church
- Memorial Committee (2000-2003)
- Weekday School Board (1997-2000)
- Administration Board (1991-1993)
LSU School of Dentistry
- Alumnus of the Year Award 2012 – LSU School of Dentistry
- Outstanding Arkansas Alumnus Award 2009 – Arkansas LSU Alumnus
- Outstanding Achievement Award – American Academy of Oral Pathology
- Certificate of Merit – American Society of Dentistry for Children
- Advanced Study Program
- International Association of Dental Research
- American Association for Dental Research
University of Arkansas
- Alpha Epsilon Delta – Honorary Pre-Medical Fraternity
- Blue Key – National Honorary Leadership Society
- Sigma XI – National Honorary Research Society
- Sigma Phi Epsilon – Social Fraternity
- Model Pledge – Sigma Phi Epsilon
- Outstanding Greek on Campus – Order of Omega
- Eagle Scout (Earned Rank in 1973)
- Arkansas Tennis Association – Family of the Year (2002)
- Southern Tennis Association – Family of the Year (2002)
- (3) Adult 4.5 Team Tennis Championships – Arkansas Tennis Association
- Fort Smith Men’s Open Doubles Championship (1975)
- State 3A High School Singles Champion – Southside High School (1975)
- State 3A High School Team Tennis Champions – Southside High School (1974 & 1975)
Boy Scouts of America/Westark Area Council
- Executive Board (1988 – 1998)
- Vice President – Exploring (1992)
Western Arkansas Tennis Association
- President (2001)
- Board of Directors (1998 – 2001)
- Founder – Area Junior High Tennis Program
- Founder – Community Tennis Center at Creekmore Park
Need an Appointment?
Leave your name and email below along with what times and days work best for you. Or you can call us at 479.452.3368.